Physical Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium represent real wealth to many people, and owning Precious Metals products gives them the security they desire. If you are reading this, you are likely among those who feel that Precious Metals investment is an important part of protecting and growing your wealth. But what about the most important investment portfolio: your retirement portfolio?
Have you made a specific plan to include Precious Metals investments in your retirement? If this is one of those things you “haven’t gotten around to,” APMEX is here to help. Including Precious Metals in your retirement planning is simple with a Precious Metals IRA and APMEX makes it easy to begin.
Why Precious Metals?
All the advantages of Precious Metals investing extend to a Precious Metals IRA. Physical Gold and Silver are excellent hedges against inflation, maintaining the same relative buying power to price per ounce over time. Additionally, since Precious Metal prices tend to move independently of the stock market, they can provide a bright spot among your investments in the event of an economic downturn. Further, diversification is key to building a strong portfolio. A great diversification plan cannot depend on stocks and bonds alone, and Precious Metals can provide the balance and diversity you want.
What Percentage of My Portfolio?
While exactly how much of your overall retirement investments goes into Precious Metals is a very personal choice, there are some general rules of thumb for you to consider.
- A conservative Precious Metals investor will have less than 5 percent of their overall retirement investments in Precious Metals. This may not be enough to provide balance to one’s portfolio, but will provide some benefits.
- A diversified Precious Metals investor may have up to 10 percent of their overall retirement in Precious Metals. They believe in careful diversification and balance and know that the stock market alone cannot provide it.
- An aggressive Precious Metals investor may have up to 15 percent of their total retirement plan in Precious Metals. These investors believe fiat currency is problematic and want commodities as a hedge against collapse.
You will want to examine your motives for investing in a Precious Metals IRA to determine what percentage is right for you.
How to Get Started
Getting started with a Precious Metals IRA is simple. Essentially, there are three steps between you and owning a Precious Metals IRA.
- Open a Custodian Account. The IRS requires that IRA Precious Metals be kept in a custodian account. If you have a custodian, APMEX will happily work with them. If you need a custodian, you can call APMEX at (800) 418-0235 for help selecting one.
- Fund the Account. Once you have a Custodian Account, you can fund it with cash or roll over an existing IRA or former employer 401(k). Once again, APMEX has IRA specialists ready to assist you.
- Purchase Approved Products. As soon as your account is funded, call APMEX to select among the many available IRA-approved products.
There will be a bit of paperwork but APMEX can assist you every step of the way, making starting a Precious Metals IRA simple and hassle-free.
IRA Approved Products
Now for the fun part! Selecting Precious Metals items for your Precious Metals IRA can be an exhilarating part of Precious Metals investing. APMEX has many IRA-approved products, from the perennially popular American Gold Eagle to the always-elegant Gold Austrian Philharmonic. For those looking to include Silver in a Precious Metals IRA, AMPEX carries the well-known Canadian Silver Maple Leaf as well as heftier items such as a 10 oz Silver Bar by APMEX.
Adding Platinum and Palladium to your IRA is easy with APMEX, too, as IRA-approved products are all clearly labeled. This gorgeous PAMP Suisse 1 oz Platinum Bar is eligible, as are the Canadian Palladium Maple Leafs.
Knowing why and how to use Precious Metals as part of your retirement plan, you can see how important it is to get started with a Precious Metals IRA today, as well as how easily you can begin. Help secure your future with Precious Metals.